Dental Crowns – Thornville, OH
Restore Damaged and Decayed Teeth
No matter how hard you try, teeth can sometimes become damaged. Whether it's due to tooth decay or an accidental injury, these issues can happen to anyone. However, you don't have to live with these problems forever. In fact, you have the option to restore your teeth with custom-made dental crowns in Thornville! They not only provide protection for your teeth but also restore their appearance to a brand-new state. If want to learn more about this treatment, continue reading or give our office a call today.
What Is a Dental Crown?
A dental crown is a protective "cap" that helps restore the structure, function, and appearance of a weakened tooth.
Dental crowns are particularly suitable for patients who have one or more of the following conditions:
- A severely decayed tooth that requires support for a filling
- Dental fractures that require additional strength and stability
- A tooth that has undergone a root canal and requires follow-up treatment
- The need to anchor a dental bridge in place
- Tooth loss that necessitates dental implant treatment
Based on your specific needs, we will guide you through the crown process and ensure that you receive the ideal service for your situation.
The Process of Getting a Dental Crown
Dental crown placement typically involves multiple visits to the dentist's office.
At your first appointment, you will have a consultation with Dr. Smith to determine if a crown is the best treatment option for you. The consultation will involve discussing your smile goals, oral health needs, medical history, and any other relevant factors. This information will help our team determine the most suitable type of crown for your specific case. Additionally, Dr. Smith will assess whether any preventive work is necessary before proceeding with the procedure.
If you decide to proceed with the treatment, the initial consultation can also serve as a "prep" visit. Dr. Smith will prepare your tooth for crown placement by removing a small portion of enamel, which will ensure that the crown will fit properly and blend in with the surrounding teeth. After preparation, an impression will be taken to create a custom-made crown that perfectly matches your tooth. While waiting for the final crown to be created, you will be fitted with a temporary crown to protect the prepared tooth.
Once your crown is ready, you will return for your final appointment. Dr. Smith will place the completed restoration over your tooth, ensuring a secure fit. You will then be briefed on how to care for your new crown, including proper oral hygiene practices.
Benefits of Getting a Dental Crown
When you choose to get a dental crown at Thornville Dental, you can look forward to several benefits. Some of the most common ones include:
- Tooth Protection: Dental crowns protect damaged teeth, preventing the need for more invasive procedures like root canal therapy or tooth extraction in the future.
- Enhanced Smile: A dental crown restores the appearance of your smile by covering and concealing any imperfections or damage to the tooth. This allows you to regain a natural and aesthetically pleasing smile without drawing attention to previously damaged teeth.
- Improved Chewing Function: By covering a tooth's broken or decayed portion, a dental crown enhances your mouth's comfort and improves chewing ability. This restoration allows you to comfortably and effectively bite and chew food, making mealtimes more enjoyable.
- Long-Lasting Results: With proper maintenance and care, dental crowns can provide lasting results. They have the potential to last over 15 years, providing a durable and reliable solution for tooth restoration.
Understanding the Cost of Dental Crowns
If you’re considering dental crowns, that’s great news. After all, these caps for your teeth can beautify and protect your smile! Still, perhaps you’re worried about their price. You may even fear they’re too expensive. In reality, though, the cost of dental crowns varies from patient to patient. You’ll need to see Dr. Smith for an exact estimate. All the same, we at Thornville Dental will strive to make your treatment affordable. Learn how by reading ahead or calling our office for details.
Factors That Affect the Cost of Dental Crowns
At your initial consultation, Dr. Smith will perform an oral exam. This step (among other things) lets him assess factors that affect your crown’s price. These typically include the following:
- Damage Severity – Based on the severity of your tooth damage, a crown will cost more or less. If the harm is minor, you may only need the cap itself. Alternatively, you may require preliminary work (root canal therapy, etc.) if your tooth is greatly damaged. The latter scenario is pricier.
- Crown Material – Eye-catching metal crowns are noticeable but cheap. Meanwhile, those made from tooth-colored materials (ceramic, zirconia, porcelain, etc.) are more expensive.
- Crown Processing Method – Traditionally-made crowns aren’t that costly. In contrast, those made with CEREC technology are priced higher.
Even as our team reviews these factors with you, remember that cheap crowns aren’t ideal. Oral health depends on high-quality treatments, which often cost more. Therefore, opt for a pretty, reliable crown you can trust will last a while.
Does Dental Insurance Cover Dental Crowns?
Crown placements count as major procedures, so dental insurance usually covers them. In fact, most policies cover up to 50% of their cost.
All that said, there are exceptions to this idea. Your own dental plan may not cover crowns. On the other hand, maybe your plan coverage has special rules. Given such possibilities, confirm your benefits before pursuing treatment. Our dental team can even help if necessary.
Other Options for Making Dental Crowns Affordable
Aside from insurance, there are other ways to make crowns affordable. The best, though, is to use a helpful payment option from your dental provider. With the right one, what might’ve been a pricey crown can become budget-friendly.
Look at our own Thornville Dental, for instance. Our office offers options like:
- In-House Membership Plans – If you pay a moderate annual fee, our office’s membership plan will give you 15% off a crown treatment.
- Flexible Financing – Our office works with CareCredit, a third-party financier. Thanks to their assistance, you could pay for a crown with low-interest monthly installments.
As you can see, dental crowns can be effective and still fit your budget. Therefore, learn more about financing them by booking a consult visit with us.